Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Once in a Blue Moon

I try to be a health conscious individual most of the time, even if it's just to rationalize why I can/should eat something even though I shouldn't. At least I thought about it, right?



There's no rationalizing this one. I just want to eat breakfasts like this once in awhile. I need to. It's a desire that nags at me until I assuage the need. I never liked chicken fried steak until I had the one at Patty's Eggnest in Lynnwood. I liked the idea of it -- steak covered in a seasoned fried chicken batter -- but none ever lived up to the idea. Until I got the Big Foot Special at Patty's. It's an 11oz chicken fried steak with 3 eggs any style, toast, and hash browns. The steak is smothered in a sausage gravy that is the best cream gravy I think I've ever had (normally I prefer brown).



As I've already mentioned, I've been reading Jane and Michael Stern's Two for the Road, and just got past a chapter in which they provide a recipe for chicken fried steak. That started the cravings. I tried to resist; I tried to put it out of my mind. Then I thought about making it myself for the first time using their recipe ... but thought that was a bit unrealistic as if I made it, I'd want to make more than one since I was putting in the effort anyway (and I shouldn't have more than one), and I'd also want all the fixings -- gravy, potatoes, eggs, etc. -- which I didn't necessarily want to take the time to make. So then I kept thinking about going to Patty's ... and I kept thinking it until I went just the other day.



When I got there just before 10am I was told that they were out of the Big Foot -- but had their 6oz portion. Given no choice I had to take it. Just as well since I had leftovers anyway, but it's definitely not as good a deal. And it hit the spot, as expected. I don't think I'll need to have this again for a good long while, but boy did I have a good time while I ate my meal that morning!

No comments: