Monday, September 6, 2010

The Pioneer Woman's Restaurant-Style Salsa

I loved this salsa, as did those who tasted it.  It's very, very good.  I won't say it's the definitive way to make salsa, since salsa's one of those wonderful things that has many variations, and it's hard to make a salsa I won't eat.  BUT, there are some salsas that definitely rise above others, and I'd say this is one of those.  It's a blended salsa, no big chunks, so if you only like chunky salsa this may not be for you.  I like both.  Of the blended salsa variety, this one is excellent.

Homemade Salsa

The recipe comes from Ree Drummond.  I halved her recipe, which makes nearly 2 quarts.  While I'm sure I could eat 2 quarts of salsa given enough time, I'd rather make a fresh quart every time I feel like having some.  Since I'm one of those people easily susceptible to suggestion, well at least when it comes to food, I also couldn't help but make simple nachos to eat the salsa with.  I also had it plain with chips and in a bean and cheese burrito.  It was wonderful in every case.

I'm one of those people who doesn't like cilantro.  But when it's been pulverized, and if I use the leaves only, I find that I can not only tolerate it, but even enjoy it.  If you're also someone who doesn't normally like cilantro, don't shy away from using it here; put less into the salsa, perhaps, but don't omit it entirely -- I do think it adds a unique flavor that makes salsa and guacamole taste as good as they do.

Nachos with Homemade Salsa

As for spiciness level, I'd call this mild to medium, but that's because I kept the jalapeno seeds in; if you prefer mild salsas, seed the jalapeno.

Restaurant-Style Restaurant (adapted from The Pioneer Woman)

Ingredients
  • 1 14.5oz can of whole or diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 10oz can of diced tomatoes with green chilies (like Rotel), undrained
  • 1/8 cup chopped onion
  • 1 small clove garlic, minced
  • 1 small jalapeno, quartered and thinly sliced
  • 1/8 tsp sugar
  • 1/8 tsp sea salt
  • 1/8 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/4-1/2 cup cilantro
  • juice from 1/4 of a lime, or about 1 tsp
Method
  1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender.  Blend until you get the consistency you desire.  I probably let mine go for about 10 seconds.  Taste the salsa and adjust the seasoning if needed to your preference.