Thursday, January 20, 2011

Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Roll

Certain life circumstances recently have made me harken back to my early post-college years, when I lived paycheck to paycheck and my idea of good food was when someone else paid for my meal.  Thankfully things aren't that bad, but I've definitely been evaluating purchases I make with far more of a critical eye than I used to, which isn't a bad thing.

ghettochurro5

In terms of food, it can even be said to be a good thing.  Making meals at home is almost always more financially responsible than eating out, and since sometimes eating out consists of going to the most convenient places -- not necessarily good places -- it's actually great that now I think twice before giving in to laziness.  I enjoy fine dining too much to give that up entirely, but I can certainly make better choices on those nights when I just don't 'feel' like cooking and want to grab something quick.

ghettochurro1



ghettochurro3



ghettochurro4

And that is almost as awesome as this 'ghetto churro' recipe.  Trix is the one who introduced me to it.  One of the things I've given up is grocery-store-bought pastries, but sometimes I need my sugar fix and a piece of fruit just isn't going to cut it.  This is a super simple little dessert/snack to make, and it makes one serving at a time, which is great when I don't feel like baking a cake or a batch of cookies.

The ingredients are few: a flour tortilla, butter, cinnamon, and sugar.  Since starting to make this, I keep a pre-made cinnamon-sugar mixture in an old jam jar for easy access.  The basic idea is to heat up the tortilla in some butter (not a lot), sprinkle on some cinnamon and sugar, then roll it up and cook until it's crispy on the outside and chewy, warm, and loaded with cinnamon-sugar goodness on the inside.  It's absolutely wonderful eaten hot (though watch out, the sugar turns syrupy and can be REALLY hot) and fresh.

ghettochurro6

Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Roll

Ingredients
  • 1 flour tortilla
  • a thin pat of butter
  • cinnamon, to taste
  • sugar, to taste
Method
  1. Heat a frying pan large enough to fit your flour tortilla.  Melt the butter and distribute it over the pan evenly.
  2. Place the tortilla into the pan and cook for a few seconds.  Then using tongs or a spatula, flip it over.
  3. Some of the melted butter will have adhered onto the surface of the tortilla.  Sprinkle on cinnamon and sugar to taste.  Don't be afraid to be fairly generous with the sugar.
  4. After a minute or two, when the tortilla is still soft and malleable but just beginning to crisp up, begin to fold it over starting with one edge (as shown in photos above), about an inch or two at a time, until the tortilla resembles a thin burrito.
  5. Cook the roll on both sides until perfectly crisp and golden.  Serve hot and enjoy!

1 comment:

briarrose said...

Great quick treat for when I crave a little something sweet. :)